Summer has arrived, the sun is shining & the sky is blue again (for however long it lasts this time). It’s time for endlessly chatting on the terrace, eating ice cream at the beach and picnicking in the park. What better way to spend these sunny days than heading off with family or friends, armed with a basket filled with tasty food for a fun filled picnic? Here are our favourite healthy Summer picnic recipes to fill that basket with!
Tuna & Pasta Salad – Ingredients for 4 people
- 250 pipe rigate (pasta)
- 2 eggs
- 500 g green beans
- 370 g tuna in water
- 46 g anchovy fillets
- 1/2 spoon mustard
- 3 spoons mayonnaise
- 1 clove of garlic
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packaging. Boil the eggs for about 8 minutes. Remove the tip of the beans. Cook the beans for 5 minutes in plenty of water with a little salt. Rinse them in a drainer under cold running water, so that the cooking process stops and the beans stay green.
- Let the tuna and anchovies leak out. Mix in a bowl the mustard with mayonnaise, pepper and any salt. Squeeze the clove above it. Stir the tuna and then mix the lukewarm pasta. Cut the olives into pieces and do the beans and olives in the pasta salad. Cut the eggs into 8 pieces and put them on the salad with the anchovy.
Carrot cake waffles – Ingredients for 4 people
- 2 eggs
- 125 gram spelt flour
- 125 ml milk
- 4 spoons honey
- 3 spoons oil
- Hand of pecans
- 45 gram rasped carrot
- Hand of raisins
- 4 spoons Greek yoghurt (0% vet)
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees
- Put the eggs, the flour, the milk, 3 tablespoons of honey, oil and a pinch of salt in a bowl and mix to airy mixture.
- Peel the pecans and add three quarters of this together with the carrots and raisins added with mixture. Mix well.
- Make the silicon wafer form greasy with some oil and divide the mixture over it.
- Put the form in the oven and bake the waffles golden in 12-15 minutes. You can also bake them in a waffle iron.
- Meanwhile mix the Greek yoghurt with 1 tablespoon of honey and the cinnamon.
- Serve the waffles with the yoghurt and the other chopped pecans.
Wraps with chicken filet and mango – Ingredients for 4 wraps
- 4 wraps
- 1 big chicken filet
- chicken herbs
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cucumber
- 1/2 red paprika
- 4 spoons mayonnaise
- fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- Cut the chicken fillet into thin strips
- Sprinkle the chicken fillet with the chicken herbs
- Bake the chicken in a frying pan
- Cook the eggs hard for 10 minutes
- Cut tomatoes into cubes
- Cucumber and pepper into strips
- Peal the eggs and prack the eggs with a fork and put it in a bowl
- Add the mayonnaise, chives and curry powder to the eggs and mix them well together (salt and pepper to your own flavor) to make a quick and simple egg salad/sauce
- Put all the ingredients in the wrap and roll it up.
Homemade Egg Salad – Ingredients
- 4 medium sized
- 2 spoons mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 spoons chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- pepper and salt to your own flavor
- Bring some water with salt to the boil. Once the water boils, add the eggs and let them cook for about 7 to 8 minutes. After cooking, put them directly under the cold tap so they don’t cook through
- Let the eggs cool for a while before you finish making the salad.
- Put the peeled eggs in a deep plate or bowl and prack them with a fork. Add the mayonnaise, mustard, chives and curry powder. Taste and finish with salt, pepper and chopped chives.
Club Sandwich with salmon – Ingredients for 2 people
- 6 slices whole grain bread
- 1/2 small cucumber, in thin slices
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 spring union in rings
- 100 g herbal cream cheese
- 200 g smoked salmon
- Roast the bread an spread with herb cream cheese
- Divide the cucumber slices and the unions over the 4 slices and then the salmon and the tomatoes. Always put 2 slices together and cover with the last 2 slices.
- Slice the sandwiches diagonally and attach them with a skewer.
A good Summer picnic starts with a good preparation. The salads and smoothies I would make on the day, because it spoils quickly. Make sure you have a cooler bag or box and keep it cool with cooling elements. Take plastic plates and cutlery with you. Also bring plastic cups for the drinks. For salads, it is useful to bring the dressing separately and add it just before eating. Of course, a big picnic blanket cannot be missed. If your bringing a bottle of wine, don’t forget about the corkscrew! And finally, always bring a trash bag, so you can bring home any trash.
And now you’ve got your picnic recipes, you’re totally prepared, it’s time for your picnic!
This blog is written by the chef and his culinary team from the Bailey Bar & Eatery. Taking a break from their work in the kitchen and giving you some Chef secrets and recipes!